Sunday, March 30, 2008

It was the guilt...


that led me to figure out how to make Eric a birthday cake today. March 30 seemed to come out of nowhere this year! That means I didn't plan ahead for what I was going to make for Eric. I almost let it slide...but it was the guilt I was feeling by 11 this morning and brought me to the pantry. I NEEDED to make something, even my mom made him a birthday cake last weekend. I couldn't let his actual birthday slip by without a treat!

I found a box of yellow cake mix and strawberry frosting in the pantry...bonus! The problem came when I went to the fridge. Right now our fridge could easily rival that of a college student. There is nothing in there except for milk, ketchup, 2 cans of pop and some cheese. You notice I didn't mention eggs? I wasn't quite sure how I could pull off a cake without eggs, but again, the guilt that I had to make a treat for Eric made me put on my thinking cap. :) That's right, my thinking cap brought me to google.com! Guess what google told me? He told me that I could mix 1 can of diet cherry coke with the yellow cake mix and I would have a birthday cake in 30 minutes! I LOVE google, he (yes, I just gave google a gender) never lets me down!

So I did it...poured the diet cherry coke in the bowl first and followed that with the cake mix. I whisked it all together and poured it in the pan and held my breath for the next 30 minutes while it baked. OK, that was a lie, I actually cut Eric's hair and fed the dogs in between. Exciting day huh?

Guess what? We just finished diving into the diet cherry coke yellow cake with pink strawberry frosting and it was surprisingly good! I'll be honest, we both held the first bite on our fork thinking about what we were about to do for quite awhile. But when we finally got brave enough and took the bite, we were pleasantly surprised!

Moral of the story? When all else fails, ask google, he will know!
Moral of the story #2? Two grown adults should really know better than to let their fridge get down to such extreme levels!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Eric! Love the cake!