Wednesday, April 16, 2008

It has been one of those weeks!!

It all started on Saturday...
We drove back to NW Iowa for a whirlwind trip. I received an email a couple weeks prior to that from the development director at Gehlen, asking us and my brother to make a surprise trip home because they had a big surprise going to happen for mom at the annual Gehlen Ball. We obliged though we had no idea what to expect once we got there! It was kind of fun having to sneak around the building to try and stay in hiding knowing we could be "found out" by showing our face too much. After all, everyone knows everyone there!
Congrats mom on being the recipient of the "Spirit of Peter Gehlen Award"! You rock and totally deserve it!


We're rarely all together so it was short of a miracle that we all were able to get back for the surprise! We have to grab our family pics where we can!

And from there, the week has just gone down hill!! Good heavens, I'm ready to be out of this little phase!
Monday I ended up spending 3 hours in the doctor office...what test didn't they put me through!?!? And here's the kicker...I ALWAYS forget that I am allergic to bandaids. Monday was no exception. They drew blood and taped the gauze on. By 9PM that night I was ready to crawl out of my skin because it hurt so bad...yeah, my skin had started a really nice allergic reaction to the tape! So please, I'm asking you to help remind me...if you ever see me think about putting a bandaid on...stop me dead in my tracks! Why is it that I can never seem to remember myself?

OK, so onto Tuesday... I started the morning out by going to the funeral for C and A's dad. Our thoughts and prayers are with you C family! You guys are an amazingly strong family! It was an honor to be with you and capture everything on the happiest day of your life and I was glad to be able to be there as you honored your dad's life and raised him up with your beautiful voices and stories. What a tribute!

Tuesday was also the day for Punk's big surgery. You know, THE big surgery! The capstone of a young pups life. We thought he would have his surgery and be able to get his cast of all in one day. Negative! He made it through surgery with quite a bit of bruising. It was a little tougher fetching the jewels than originally anticipated. AND to top it all off, the broken bone has made very little, if any progress in the healing department! Shoot!!!


This x-ray was taken just yesterday...not much healing huh?

So that brings us to today, Wednesday. It started at 6AM when Eric came running in the bedroom yelling my name and holding Punk. Not a pleasant way to start hump day! I won't get into all the details, but I ended up bringing him back to the vet this morning and he has stress colitis on TOP of everything else. Poor Punk!

You thought Wednesday was over? Not so fast! There's more! Eric got home to find Punk in his crate with quite the mess on his hands. Again, I won't get into all the details...but let's just say, the bedding went straight to the trash, an attempt to clean it was not an option. He is one sick little guy and it breaks my heart to watch him feel so miserable. Send little Punk lots of love, he needs all he can get!

Please Thursday, I'm holding out lots of hope for you! I think if we can stay out of all doctor's offices, the human and pet kind alike we'll be a step ahead of where we are at today!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Punk! I hope your Thursday was better. I thought it was a growth plate fracture, that doesn't look anywhere near the growth plate!?!? I'm so confused. I'll be thinking of you guys! Please keep us updated.

Eric and Karen said...

Jennifer-
You are SO right...with everything going on, I totally forgot about the first diagnosis! That was the diagnosis prior to the xrays...4 weeks later this is what is showing. I just want it all fixed! So you PA you, with your medical background...tell me, is this normal for a bone to take this long to heal????

Anonymous said...

Well it does seem it's taking a while but the biggest thing he has going against him is that you can't keep him off of it. When you have a fracture like that but continue to bear weight on it, it will take longer to heal.