Thursday, May 22, 2008

Shop local!

We seem to be doing more local shopping lately and I am just so excited about our experiences that I had to share so the Ames readers can start hanging out at the same places too! They deserve to have your business!

All About Me - I found this little gem on Main St. about a year ago and I LOVE it! They carry the Bare Esentuals line and I totally dig it! I first found it when I followed a bride there to capture her getting her make-up done. I then had to make an appointment for myself and referred another bride there to get her make-up done. Love that place!

Lee's Cellular- We found this place a couple weeks ago in campus town. We have always done our verizon stuff through the verizon store in Merle Hay. However, we weren't up for going to Des Moines so we thought we'd try Lee's as we had just started seeing ads in the paper. We enjoyed our time there and they did a really great job of listening to me whine and moan and groan as I tried to figure out if I wanted another colored phone since my dear hubby wouldn't part with the black one that I wanted. He wouldn't get the red one despite my repeated attempts to tell him it looked REALLY good with the cyclone sweatshirt he was wearing at the time (he was quick to remind me he doesn't wear that everyday...shoot, my attempt failed miserably). We learned long ago that we can't have the same phone if it's the same color...we end up taking eachothers without realizing it. :) I finally gave in, the guys at Lee's were trying really hard to tell me that the red was working for me, it was outselling the black one at all stores etc, etc, etc. :) So I caved. hehe! The other cool thing about Lee's is their referral program. Whenever you send someone there and they mention your name you get $20 towards accessories!

Studio 7 - Mindy referred me to this little gem in Somerset. I called the stylist I have gone to for the past 3 years only to find out she moved to a salon in Ankeny. I was not game for driving to get my hair cut so I finally gave Studio 7 a call (after Mindy has been telling me about Krista for years!)....and am so happy that I did! Krista is great and we had a great conversation! This salon just opened January 5...did I mention that they got the place on December 30? Talk about determination to get a business started! Studio 7 also has a referral program too. If you refer 3 people you get a free cut!

Denny's Automotive (515-233-4000) - I think the worst thing about moving has to be finding a mechanic you can trust and know you won't end up getting charged $300 for a $100 project. Ann referred me to Denny's and they are GREAT! Yes, they are the one's who saw me through my little episode yesterday! I dropped my car off this morning and they called me a couple hours later with an estimate! If you have any problems with your car, seriously, take it here! You won't be disappointed! Since today was "pay it forward" day and I was watching channel 13 news this morning and they were broadcasting from McDonalds as many people in the drive through were paying for the breakfast for the person behind them to pay it forward...I was inspired to go grab some donuts to give to the mechanics before dropping my car off.

Were you inspired to pay it forward to anyone today after watching the news?

Moral of the story...shop local, you just might be happy with what you find! Oh yeah, and keep paying it forward, it keeps your heart happy!

[I will start posting with photos again soon!]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love "paying it forward". You're so right, makes your heart soar! I will definitely be checking out Denny's Automotive, we've lived here 7 years and have yet to discover a trustworthy mechanic...thanks for the referral!!! Take care guys:)

Anonymous said...

ps. "oopsy daisy" has made a few appearences since you were here:) too cute!