Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A lesson to be learned...


so this morning i was shocked to find the following email from my friend in my inbox....

"Good morning -
If anyone has a Bunn coffee maker be careful or check for recalls.

Our Bunn burst into flames this morning, which made for an exciting morning. I was getting ready for work and heard this loud poof, I thought I forgot to shut off my eggs. Nope. I went into the kitchen and was greeted by two foot flames shooting out of the coffee maker. I forgot my fire fighting 101 and started throwing water on the fire - a no no. Luckily I had unplugged the coffee maker. I yelled for Roy and he did the same thing. Every time we put water on the flames the seemed to go higher. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and couldn't figure out how to make it work. Roy finally threw enough water on the flames to extinguish the fire.

I've cleaned up most of the mess but the bottom of our cupboards are charred and the house stinks."

This TOTALLY seems like one of those forwards that attempts to instill fear and panic in everyone and causes a rash of warnings to be sent to your inbox. Seriously, how many times have you received the email about people in mall parking lots who ask you to sniff their perfume blah, blah, blah...

Unfortunately, this isn't one of those emails! Fortunately, it is one of those emails. HUH? what did I just say? Unfortunately she had to experience this, fortunately, she shared her story and we can all learn from it! :)

So what did I go shopping for tonight? You guessed it, I went fire extinguisher shopping! And guess what folks, a fire extinguisher is not just a fire extinguisher! There are decisions to be made. I had no idea I'd have to make decisions about this purchase! So I just went middle of the road and have never felt so good spending $40!

When I got home, I decided to take a closer look at the one that has been hiding in my closet...it looks ancient, I thought the house must have been built around it. Not quite, but it is dated 1978! Sorry, not going to trust that 30 year old piece of metal should disaster arise! I feel much better about the new shiny red one! :)

Let this be a lesson for all...

1) if you have a Bunn coffeemaker, check it against recalls!
2) if you don't have a fire extinguisher, get one!
3) if you have one, but don't know where it is, find it!
4) if you have one but don't know how to run it, learn it!

Thank you for sharing your story Barb!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm on it! Thanks for the caution.